Neighborhood House Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HOMEWORK CENTER COORDINATOR
at Neighborhood House Association
|Neighborhood House Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans). To read more about this, view the EEO is the Law poster and this EEO is the Law Poster Supplement|
The Neighborhood House Association is a non-profit organization. Head Start positions are funded in whole or in part by money provided through the State and Federal Government. Additionally, some Social Service Program positions may be funded in whole or in part through grant funds. Because positions and salaries may be funded through grants, and State and Federal funds ongoing employment will be contingent upon the continued receipt of these funds.
Eligible employees receive the following benefits:
All qualified applicants willreceive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteranstatus.
|HOMEWORK CENTER COORDINATOR|
Basic Job Assignment:
841 S. 41st Street
San Diego, CA 92113
Position is 42 weeks (7-Weeks Summer Layoff)
Under general supervision of the Senior Management Analyst-Education, Instruction and Operations, the Homework Center Coordinator is responsible for organizing and coordinating services to ensure organizational and operational effectiveness of the Homework Center. The Coordinator will also assist the Head Start program where needed.
* Knowledge of appropriate youth and adult learning theories and practices;
* Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation;
* Computer equipment and advanced uses of word processing, spreadsheet, Internet database and other software;
* Budgeting, recordkeeping, filing and purchasing practices and procedures.
* Work as a team player;
* Be flexible and self-directed;
* Communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing;
* Organize, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment within areas of responsibility;
* Understand and follow written and oral instructions;
* Communicate and work effectively with teens, parents and school personnel;
* Ability to develop and implement effective tutoring plans and skills in classroom observation and design appropriate instructional strategies to meet the needs of Homework Center participants;
* To create and maintain a safe learning environment for youth and others;
* Maintain sensitive and confidential information;
* Use a high degree of tact, discretion and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive situations and concerned and/or upset groups and individuals.
* Operate a computer terminal and/or computer using word processing, spreadsheet, internet and database and other standard business software;
* Interpret, apply, explain and reach sound decisions in accordance with laws, regulations, rules and policies;
* Prepare clear, accurate and concise records and reports;
* Compose correspondence, prepare documents and make arrangements from brief instructions;
* Sensitive to diverse cultures and populations;
|College degree or in process of completing degree in the area of education, psychology, social work, business, or other similar areas. Teaching certification or teaching experience preferred.|
Licenses, Certificates & Special Requirements:
Current CPR certification required; Professional liability insurance is preferred, but not required. Must meet and maintain state law and county licensing requirements regarding employment in a childcare center (fingerprints, TB, physical and immunizations). Teaching certification or teaching experience preferred.
Example of Major Functions:
|The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this position.|
* Act as a liaison between NHA and students seeking help with their homework;
* Collaborate with volunteers to carry out the goals of the program;
* Supervise, aid and motivate students to use their resources to do their homework;
* Facilitate and create a productive, comfortable and welcoming atmosphere for learning; Create a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere that is conducive to learning;
* Set up and maintain any homework center materials and order supplies (snacks, school supplies, etc.) and help to create a neat, welcoming atmosphere;
* Keep track of statistics related to Homework Center use (recording a daily log of student use including age group and subject inquired about, etc.);
* Assist in the program evaluation process;
* Help individual students with their specific homework assignments and assist individual students in their barriers to learning;
* Develop a collection of resources and supplementary learning materials (including a list of useful Internet Websites);
* Talk and listen to students regarding homework and school, modeling a positive attitude toward learning;
* Promote the Homework Center through visits to local schools, PTA/PTO meetings and other organizations;
* Initiate positive relationships between NHA and teachers/parents whose students use the Homework Center by acting as a liaison;
* Supervise students, handling behavior issues and ensuring that students are safe when they are in the computer setting;
* Responsible for recruiting and supervising homework tutors, including training and scheduling;
* Maintain and submit reports, proposals and keep track of stats;
* Explore various ways to grow/expand the Homework Center;
* Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor.