THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accountant III (Grade 26, 10928)
at THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION
The Accounting Division in the Finance Department of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (the Commission) is seeking two Accountant III's in the General Accounting Section. These full time, career positions report directly to the Finance Manager I.
The Commission is a bi-county local government agency located outside of Washington D.C. and includes the Planning and Parks Departments for both Montgomery and Prince George's Counties as well as the Recreation Department in Prince George's County. As a governmental agency, the Commission uses Fund Accounting as its system of accounting.
- Examples of Important Duties
- Manages and maintains assigned funds or projects within the financial system, which may include maintaining the accounting for construction projects with multiple funding sources, and other Internal Service Funds.
- Investigates accounting errors and analyzes discrepancies. Processes adjusting entries or recommends correcting entries to lower level staff.
- Enters and prepares budgets and adjustments as needed or requested by the operating departments.
- Prepares month and year-end closing journal entries and allocations.
- Prepares regular reports such as quarterly budget projections and builds queries for financial analysis. Prepares other special reports as assigned.
- Performs monthly reconciliation of assigned accounts.
- Monitors and prepares necessary chargeback entries and monthly billing submissions to other agencies.
- Maintains files related to disbursement/revenue activity for escrow activity.
- Develops or recommends improvements to policies, procedures and reports.
- Implements approved policies and procedures.
- Certifies fund availability on contracts which includes analysis of vendor financials and ratio calculations.
- Assists with the implementation of new or upgrades to financial systems and performs as lead on assigned module(s).
- Serves as lead on special projects.
- Reconciles subsidiary systems and accounts to the General Ledger.
- Prepares assigned schedules and statements for the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and the Maryland Uniform Financial Report.
- Prepares annual audit PBC's and financial schedules. Provides analysis and documentation to auditors.
- Prepares the assigned County portion of the Maryland State Annual Financial Report.
- The ability to perform complex account analysis.
- The ability to work with on-line financial systems and other user-friendly software. Enterprise Resource System (ERP) experience preferred.
- Experience with governmental fund accounting.
- Ability to provide leadership and training.
- Ability to lead special projects.
- Ability to work independently and with staff on all levels.
- Microsoft Excel (intermediate level).
- Good organization and communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to research and resolve problems.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field;
- Four years of a wide variety of accounting experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which included eight college courses in accounting or related field.
- Supplemental Information
Excellent benefits package includes generous leave, extensive health coverage, deferred compensation plan, employer's retirement plan, and work-life programs.