THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Administrative Assistant III (Grade HC6, 11803)
at THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland National-Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking an Administrative Assistant III to join our planning team. The department provides land use planning for the physical development of Prince George's County, Maryland. As the second most populous county in Maryland, Prince George's has a population of approximately 900,000 residents and is home to The University of Maryland at College Park, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, and Joint Base Andrews Air Force Base. Prince George's County is also home to many attractions such as FedEx Field, National Harbor, and Six Flags Amusement Park. If you are interested in working for the Prince George's County Planning Department, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Administrative Assistant III position.
The successful candidate must be self-motivated, possess strong written and verbal communication skills, be able to balance multiple requests and deadlines concurrently, and be able to keep pace with a varied work program and work with a diverse staff. This position requires exceptional time management skills, with the ability to work well under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Examples of Important Duties
- Manage all aspects of the administrative process associated with the review and approval of studies, agenda items, technical and administrative reports and correspondence, including proofreading and editing copy for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors, and for adherence to the Department's standardization manual within the required mandatory timeframe.
- Under general supervision, provide administrative and clerical support to the division chief and section supervisors, including scheduling meetings, supporting recruitments, preparing correspondence on their behalf, and assisting in the development and implementation of division operating procedures. Provide front desk coverage as needed.
- Support management of the division's communications systems, including processing incoming and outgoing mail and ensuring timely routing of materials; coordinating and utilizing e-mail and other e-communication mechanisms to transmit information in a timely manner; and maintaining division files for responses to formal communications.
- Maintain and reconcile financial reports and records; prepare accounting data for processing; review payroll information and resolve discrepancies; and perform divisional technical human resources work, including assisting with recruitment, arranging interviews, maintaining confidential personnel files, and preparing and processing personnel actions and performance reviews.
- Attend various meetings as needed.
- Other duties may be required and assigned by the supervisor.
The ideal candidate for the Administrative Assistant III position will have the following:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Exceptional customer service skills including interactions with staff, citizens, developers, and attorneys to provide information, gather data, and prepare records
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a large and diverse staff, and work effectively as part of a team or independently to complete work assignments
- Skill in organizing, assessing, and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and Adobe Acrobat and familiarity with content management systems
- Experience with scheduling meetings and maintaining electronic databases
- Ability to quickly learn new computer programs (i.e. Kronos, FileNet, and planning-related programs)
- Experience with planning, assigning, and reviewing the work of other staff
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or a Certificate of General Educational Development (GED).
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience that includes at least two (2) years in administrative and clerical support work and at least one (1) year of technical support experience in the administrative management areas of the specific position to be filled.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together total 4 years.
- Supplemental Information
NOTE: This position is union-represented.
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free on-site parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $42,133 to $72,098 at the Administrative Assistant III level with an excellent benefits package. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.